[Harp-L] re: was first amp now jam

I've never been to a jam, but if you can play with friends there are some
advantages:

1. less pressure
2. a chance to build rapport
3. more apt to branch out into directions you wouldn't go ordinarily
4. more time to play

When you have attained some ability to play with other people (it's like
learning French the more you do it, the easier it becomes) then tape some of
your playing. Don't do this right away because you'll just quit. Taping
gives you an idea of which riffs work and when.

When you play, use something, loops, drum machine, real drummer, whatever,
but have something that keeps the time (do this when you practice too).

I try to play every Friday with a friend or two, 5-6 hours. I can't do it
every week, but I try.

When playing concentrate on complementing the song as opposed to being a
virtuoso harp player. I think of it like water colors. It's easy for all the
colors to drip together and turn brown if you're not paying attention.

Find something that you want to try and try it. Spend a mornign trying to
use octaves. Try vibrato. Try mixing Sonny Terry with Jimi Hendrix. It's
nice to play in an environment where if you fall flat on your face you have
people that will pick you up.

With a small amp you can play at bedroom volume. For a mic I recommend
something you can drop a couple times without hurting it. I've dropped my
green bullet five feet onto a concrete floor with no adverse affect. A shure
sm 57 is similarly bullet proof, makes a wicked vocal mic (John Lennon and
David Bowie recorded with them) but doesn't overdrive the amp like a green
bullet.

I find with a 9 watt amp I am more than loud enough for a bar with 50-150
people

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com