Re: [Harp-L] my first amp and mic??

steve abercrombie <aber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

After more than a year practicing, I want to buy an amp and mic. I want them for home practice and for local blues jam sessions (if I can muster enough nerve).

i'll let others answer the gear question. i just wanted to mention two things about going to a jam. first off, make yourself do this, it's really a huge step forward to start playing with other musicians. if it seems really daunting, that's because it is. but it's worth it.

the other thing is, when you start going, you might consider leaving
your rig at home and playing through a vocal mic, especially if there
is a competent sound guy running the PA.  when i started playing not
that long ago, i found that dealing with my own rig was a huge
distraction from what i really needed to be focusing on.  messing
with gear, dealing with feedback, not being loud enough, etc.  it's
only pretty recently that i've gotten a handle on all of that, and
i've been playing for 3 years (yeah, i'm a slow learner).

you can work on your killer tone and ultimate rig at home, but at
the jam you're learning about music, and about how to play with
other musicians.  you can always bring your killer tone and rig later,
once you've got a better handle on the music parts.

just my 2 cents.

--
Optimism and pessimism don't exist for me.
I'm a blues man.  I am a prisoner of hope.