Fwd: [Harp-L] my first amp and mic??

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "steve abercrombie" <aber@...> wrote:

I know, you've seen this question many times. I've searched the archives trying to
determine what I should buy. Very confused!

After more than a year practicing, I want to buy an amp and mic. I want them for home
practice and for local blues jam sessions (if I can muster enough nerve). I want to keep the
cost below $500 if I can still get quality at this price range. So let me have it...what should
a rookie harper buy?

Thanks folks

Steve Abercrombie

Steve, there is no one right answer to this, and good luck getting more out of this thread
than anything in the archives.  That said, for your price range, I think a Kalamazoo Model 2
from Greg Heumann would be a good choice for an amp and you'd have money left for a
mike  (a reverb and/or delay pedal would be nice but not absolutely essential).  The Fender
Pro Jumior is also a good choice.  I know there are some new 5 wattt tube amps out there
like the Fender Champ 600,and  the Epiphone Valve Junior -- I have no experience with
those, but I do wonder about having enough volume in a jam situation (5 watts is plenty of
volume for home solo practice).  (The Kali is 5 watt, but I have found it to be pretty darn
loud.)   A lineout could be a nice feature for a jam (neither the Kali nor the PJ have this
feature)-- it's a little easier than miking the amp if necessary, but not much easier -- but,
w/o a lineout, you might find you have to spend some of that money on a mike to mike
the amp.  I'm not crazy about the Crate VC508 (aka V5) though i hear it can be fixed up by
Ron Holes -- but of course that adds to the cost.)
I'm sure you'll hear from others who have experience with other amps (and also
microphones).
Good luck.
--jk