Subject: [Harp-L] Yet another impediment to live music

Jim-

ASCAP-BMI has the legal right to collect fees from venues where copyrighted music is played live, just as they have the right to collect fees from jukebox owners in bars and restaruants, radio stations, etc. This sometimes discourages marginal venues from having live music. Venues can always get around this, though, by offering either traditional folk or other public domain music, or original music by the performing artists only. That happens also.

As burdensome as this seems, ASCAP-BMI has the law on it's side here. Artists deserve compensation for their work, and ASCAP-BMI is the enforcer. And nobody likes enforcers. As an artist who plays live and who also has copyrighted music out there, I can it see from both sides. We musicians all need places to play, and it sucks to lose a good room. But the people who write music and get it out there shouldn't get deprived of their due either. I've talked to older, struggling musicians who have gotten much needed dental work paid for with those ASCAP checks, for example. That money just doesn't go to the rich and famous. So all in all, it's a fair law.

-Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm