Re: [Harp-L] Second reed failure on a Suzuki Fire Breath

Richard Hunter wrote:
my first Fire Breath, in C, had a complete failure on the blow 4 reed after only a few hours of playing. I have now had a similar failure, this time on the draw 5 reed, on the Bb instrument.

Suzuki's service team has been attentive and helpful. But any service has to be delayed to some extent, and a blown reed is a problem instantly.

As I mentioned a few months ago, my Fire Breath in D went out at the beginning of a recording session. I'd been playing it for about a year, however.

Suzuki, actually Os Leguizamo at Suzuki, sent me a new D. He also replaced a new B, whose action never felt very good. (I don't monkey with harp reeds - my forays into that field have been astonishing failures. One of the things I love about both D's and the B replacement is that they do not make me regret my lack of the small motor skills needed to do useful work on them.)

I've practiced both new harps into wonderful shape. The reed blowout factor scares the heck out of me because they are the best harps ever for my playing approach, and I intend to keep using them. It is hard to recommend them, however, until Suzuki announces that they've solved the problem.