[Harp-L] Yet another impediment to live music

I received the response below from a cool little coffee shop in  trendy part of town near a lot of restaurants. Good tips. We played at their grand opening about a year ago and I was following up with them to see if they were interested in having us play again. Can anyone educate me on what they are talking about?

  "We don't play live music anymore since ASCAP (don't know if my spelling is right) request us to pay fees to play music. Since live music is not a major part of our business, it's not worth to pay fees nor getting into any legal trouble. I'll let you know if the situation changes."

  Thanks,
  Jim McBride