[Harp-L] Annie's Rig (was Laredo)

There were a lot of questions running around about Annie Raines' rig, so I
decided to go straight to the source. Here is Annie's response to my query
(she graciously allowed me to forward this on to everyone):

I've been lucky enough to have access to some wonderful amps and amp owners
in the Northeast, as well as some great mics and even better mic
technicians, like Dennis Gruenling.  Actually, just Dennis.

"Ol' Heartbreak" was played on an Astatic 200-s (gold, stem, on/off switch)
- it died right after we finished the album - through a brown Princeton (no
reverb) that belonged to the studio engineer.  I was also playing through a
tape delay machine known as an Echoplex, and there was some nice reverb on
the board.  A delicious combination that gave me lots of ideas.

On "Moving to the Country" and "Good Women Have Bad Days" I played a green
bullet through either the same Princeton or an old 2x10 tweed Super.  That
put my Astatic snobbery to the test.  It was really the best mic/amp
combination for those songs at that time. On duo gigs with Paul I play
through a little Fender Vibro-Champ with a 10" speaker that kicks ass.

On band gigs I've played through a Deluxe, Deluxe Reverb, and occasionally
my reissue Bassman, which was adjusted by some guy who left town soon
afterwards, so I have no idea what he did to change the sound.  I also use a
Boss RV-3 reverb/delay pedal, sometimes to excess, or so I'm told.

My guiding principle with regard to harp rigs is: don't play through
anything bigger or louder than you need to.  It's important to have some
"headroom," but if your band is playing blues, the music should be the
focus, not the volume. I don't keep a tight cup on the mic.  It's very loose
and there are usually gaps.  The main trick is to get as much distance
between the harp and the mic as possible.  The mic responds to the sound
vibrations in the air chamber, not to the vibrations of the harmonica
itself.  The other trick is, of course, to relax and breathe! Annie