[Harp-L] Toots masterclass DVD

Got my copy of the Toots Thielemans Masterclass DVD in remarkably fast time.
Shipped priority mail -- and it was. About $24 for DVD and shipping.

I think the Toots Thielemans 40-minute performance (backed by pianist Kenny
Werner) was worth the price of admission. I've seen Toots several times on TV
and I have some of his recordings.

But why is a masterclass featuring the guy who is arguably the best jazz
chromatic player in world did not include any harmonica players?

I wondered about that myself until I saw the video.   Turns out the jazz
students comprise the backup band for their segment: Toots is the harmonica
player. (There may be another issue: is harmonica regarded on the university level
as a major jazz instrument or do harmonica players still have to major in
mainstream instruments?)

When asked about his impression of the student band, Toots replied: "There is
more to playing a song than starting at the same time and ending at the same
time." He indicated a song needed some punch in the middle. "Keep practicing,"
he said to the band.

Toots asked the guitar player how long he had been playing. (Toots also plays
guitar quite well.) The guitarist said, "Ten-twelve years."

"Keep practicing," Toots said. Earlier Toots

Gary Giddings, a jazz historian, introduced Toots to the audience with some
backround aboout Toots' career. Later he interviewed him backstage for 17
minutes. Special features include a 31-minute interview with Toots and a 24-minute
interview with Gary Giddins.

It never got too musically technical. While Toots mentioned a chord
progression or two, how he followed the inner voicing of chords, for the most part the
Masterclass seemed to be aimed at a general audience.

Phil

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)