[Harp-L] Johnson Laredo

I own a Johnson Laredo.

First let me say that the sound I like is the Chicago blues sound, especially the sound Little Walter had on many of his recordings.

As I understand it, a key component in getting that tone is getting the power tubes in your amp to start breaking up a bit, to give the sound that raw cutting quality. As a result of the modern manufacturing of amps like the Johnson, there is a solid state component that will limit this overload of the power amp tubes. I have also been told that by switching out preamp tubes to lower the amplification power of the preamp tubes, the result will be a greater possibility of getting the power tubes to overload and start to break up.

The reason I wrote of of this is that I found that I was not able to get that tone from the Johnson amp. I may try switching the preamp tubes, but haven't yet.

IF you are not looking for the same raw edge that I prefer for most of my playing, then the Johnson is a cool little amp, nice clean tone and a good value for the money.

Walter Joyce