Re: Re: [Harp-L] fame

Bob Laughlin wrote:
> Let's assume that the harmonica becomes an instrument of great
> reknown, and awesome popularity.
>
> What effect will that have on harmonica prices worldwide? I kind
> of wish no one had invented the internal combustion engine. Gas
> would still be cheap.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense.  If no one had invented
the internal combustion engine, you'd be buying gasoline from guys
with no day job, cranking it out in their garage or bathtub for
$100/gallon.  It's only because of huge worldwide demand that we
have an infrastructure that pumps oil out of the ground in one
place, ships it half way around the world to a refinery to make it
into gasoline that gets shipped to gas stations on every corner
where you can buy it.

How much more popular should the harmonica be?  It's already
arguably the biggest selling instrument in the world.  Just because
it's popular doesn't mean most people play it well.  Look at all the
guitars sitting in closets around the world.  I have two guitars and
I don't play worth a crap.

I agree with GG that the harmonica has never had a breakthrough pop
personality on the scale of a KennyG (love him or hate him, everyone
knows his name).  I don't think there are many people who want to be
that person.  You know, KennyG paid his dues too.  He played for
years in Barry White's orchestra.  He didn't really become widely
known until his third or fourth studio album.  And he didn't have to
legitimize his instrument to the public.

Trouble is, there's a huge community of "I didn't know you could do
that with a harmonica" people out there.  I see them every time I
play.  People who wander up and examine my kit to see what it is I'm
playing, believing it is the microphone or something that's making
the sound that's not quite like a trumpet or a saxophone or a
clarinet.

You also have to remember that fame isn't just about the music.
Women (and probably some men ;-) swooned over KennyG's curly locks
and romantic demeanor, just like they do with Chris Botti.  It's all
about marketing.  Want to be famous?  Find a promoter who thinks
there's something in it for them, and they'll take you for the
ride.  First stop will be the salon for a makeover and the gym for a
conditioning workout.  The music part's in the bag (except for some
minor timing issues); work on the rest of the package.

-tim