Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-l] Re: 7-10/ Now - Harmonica players as sidemen

"David Payne" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> states:

> I don't know what all's going on here, but in the post I read that started
7-10gate ordeal, she specifically said ''beginning" players, not "blues
players"

Not to belabor the subject,,but merely to beat it to death,,

By saying that only "beginning blues players" are unable to finish a song,
and the further comment that the ones who DO finish songs "stand out" from
the rest, a seemingly positive reference, and again referencing in a
positive manner those "taking a song or instrumental from beginning to
end.", there is, to me, the implication that those who CHOOSE, by matter of
preference, to play only supportive comps, chords, rhythms, etc,,rather than
to use the harp as the primary melodic instrument, are in some way less
valuable, or inferior, due to their personal taste.

Personally, I HIGHLY APPRECIATE those "bluesmasters" whose tone and phrasing
first attracted me to the diatonic harp, and STILL DO. I wish I could post
some examples,,,

I just PREFER that sound, that usage of the harp as rhythmic accompaniment
and "tone monster", rather than melodic lead. Sure, I can play amazing
grace, red river valley, cielito lindo, jarave tapatillo (mexican hat
dance), oh susanna, dixie, a sailor's hornpipe, etc,,in single notes or
octaves, and I really don't care to learn much more in the way of melodic
lines beyond that on the diatonic. It certainly entertains the kids, the
grandkids, and makes the local mexican-american community smile when I'm
doing my laundry, and gives me easy stuff to warm up the harp with. It's
really a different flavor, and more challenging when I bust into some 2nd or
other position, but I try not to hit them with that right off the bat.
People walk up to me and tell me that they "could listen to that all day",
and make offers to get me into a recording studio. I'm really not that
interested. I'm more interested in using the harp as accompaniment, adding
something tasty to what a band is already doing. I do visit the local dive,
once in a while, and step in with a band that's gotten accustomed to
trusting my playing sensibilities, http://www.chesterfieldblues.com/ . I've
NEVER gotten anything but praise for my playing except from one person I
used to know, who used to declare how she "hates" harmonica. People
continually suggest, or ask, "are you in a band"? I'm just adverse to
leaving home, going somewhere, carrying things,,etc.. I'm very "comfort
zone-centric". I did play in public recently, while sitting on a bench in
front of the local pie house, and got handed 6.50 for about five minutes of
playing. Somebody gave me 5.00 just to play "happy birthday" for his girl,
at the table inside. (See,,I can play "a song",,)

Anyway,,I have to admit, I think of harmonica as a novelty instrument, with
some recognizably strong points, if used properly, skillfully, etc. My
FAVORITE harp pieces, as I've said, involve the harp as a SUPPORTIVE,
rhythmic and tonally distinctive instrument, not the lead.

Though I've settled on the fact that melodic virtuosity and the ability to
play "any note" on the ten-hole doesn't impress me much, I'm just one
individual. I'd much rather hear depth of tone, and an excellent vibrato
than multitude of note.

BL

I think I'm getting tired of hearing myself ,,,

let's go on.