Re: [Harp-L] Re: 7-10

Hey, before you address me in capital letters,,,

I wasn't the one that said, sarcastically if I'm not mistaken, that "no one
plays 7-10". That was fjm, one of the "listowners". Again, I believe he was
making a joke,,

I'm sure "7-10" have their place. I personally would not want a harmonica
that didn't have those notes. But personally, I don't use them for anything
but TB'd octaves. So shoot me. It's my personal preference at this time,
until I feel INSPIRED, not SHAMED into using them, big guy.

I personally just don't enjoy hearing those high pitched notes, unless they
fit, which they sometimes do, sometimes don't. Sure, if you're able, you can
squeeze some awesome tones out of them, but as Robert Ross already said, it
has to be with some amount of taste, and not excessive, otherwise it can be
both out of place, and annoying. Anything is like that, however.

By the way,,a lot of what I'm hearing from people that I admire,,the blues
greats of yesteryear,,much of it is supportive stuff in the lower registers.

Take, for example, "Smokestack Lightning", Howlin' Wolf.  I wish I could
post a file here, but it's not set up for it. When I listen to that simple
harp line, chords mainly, around 1min, 1:56, and 2:56 to fadeout, simple,
supportive, not "showing off", but just tastefully accompanying the music.
It's simple, but evasively challenging, that kind of playing. Yet it adds so
much to the music. No high notes at all.

I'm sure there's a place for high notes,,especially if one wants to
demonstrate his or her skills on the harmonica, and become "famous", or even
"impressive".

For me, music is about appropriateness, taste, and if it belongs, it
belongs. If it is just done to "demonstrate", then it doesn't belong.

I am of the opinion that harmonica has a great place as a supportive
instrument. As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out on whether it belongs in
"the lead". What DOES belong "in the lead", is the music, the groove, the
mood, the feeling, not just the notes.

BL