[Harp-L] Upper register

I'be been playing on and off for 35 years (more off than on sometimes
I admit), and until this year never used the upper register. It's
different, hard to get used to and hard to fit into what I am used to
playing. Basically, looking back, I just didn't know how to do it.
Then I met personally one of the harp greats, Billy Burns. When I met
him he was asked to sit in for a song with a local group. He went up
to the vocal mic, which was set far too hot for him to actually use,
and he played just three notes. They were some of the most amazing
three notes I ever heard, and they were all in the upper register.
After that he backed off the mic so far you couldn't even hear him
because it was set up wrong. Afterwards I introduced myself and we
have since become great friends. I repaired a couple of his mics (got
to see what Rod Piazza actually does close up) and in exchange he
gave me a couple of rare tips (he doesn't talk much and isn't
interested in teaching). I love the few rare gems he shares my way
once in a great while - and take them very seriously. So he shared
with me how to start using that upper register. o now I am...not as
much as perhaps I could but I am still not totally confident up there
- but am getting there. It's HOT! Used [properly, it's like adding a
special spice, like a hot pepper or something, to a recipe - too much
is no good but none at all starts tasting a little bland. So the
truth is all this time I made excuses for not using the upper
register it was just that I didn't know how. Once you start getting
the hang of it, I suspect you'll find yourself using it more and more
(just not too much).

- Robert

Looking for last minute shopping deals?