[Harp-L] Re: Big River Musical

Hello, Brian.

I also played the musical, Big River. Three times, for local southeastern
Wisconsin amateur theatre groups and for a high school.

The first time, I didn' have a bass or chord harp, and didn't know how to
play them, so I used a 64 chromatic for the bass parts. I created a diatonic
harp wheel of 6, 10-hole diatonics revolving around a microphone for the chord
parts of the last (I think) exit tune. I also played jaw harp and tambourine
in  a few spots.

Of the different harmonica types used (bass, chord, chromatic, diatonic),
the 10-hole diatonic was used most often in the harmonica book, in many
different keys, usually in 2nd position.

The second time, I had a bass harp and a chord harp and the 10-hole  diatonic
and chromatic. I think it was Mr. Paparozzi who said in a prior post  that he
played the musical, with no chromatic. He is a much more experienced and
talented harmonica player than I am.

The music director gave me the book and an audio recording for practice,
about a month before the first performance. I made a photocopy of the Big River
harmonica book for future reference. I still have it, and use it as a tool for
 my students, to learn harmonica sheet music interpretation.

The third performance, I played percussion.

I'll get the harmonica book out, and e-mail the key of each tune to you,  off
list. If you have any questions about the harmonica part, I'll answer them
as best as I can.

John Broecker

48)