From: Tim Moyer <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:04:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] harmonica patents

David Payne wrote:
> Thought I'd pass on some interesting patents I've come across for
> this harmonica development Web page I'm working on.
<snip>
> This is an interesting Matthias Hohner patent filed after his
> death. It's a way to cope with comb swelling. The idea was to put
> a metal strip on the comb teeth, which would keep the wood from
> swelling, or at least keep it from swelling upwards. Too bad they
> didn't have access to sealers back then. Such as wax... ;)
> Seriously, it's interesting to look at these patents and see how
> they were constantly thinking about how to deal with problems such
> as comb swell.
> http://www.google.com/patents?
id=3dhnAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=%22matthias+hohner%22

This would be the design for the Orchester!

> Hohner's patent for metal mouthpiece, 1893
> http://www.google.com/patents?
id=d3dDAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=%22matthias+hohner%
22#PPP2,M1

This looks like a precursor to the CX-12 design, although this
abstract recommends fashioning it from metal.  I don't think plastic
fabrication was available in 1893!

Interesting...

-tim