Re: [Harp-L] Jazz Harp By Richard Hunter

Michael Polesky wrote:
<Recently one of my students suggested I write a book about jazz harp because he thought there wasn't <one out there.  So, I got him to buy Richard Hunter's "Jazz Harp" as I knew that it was out there <and, knowing Richard, I was sure it would be good.

Aw, shucks.

<My student lent me the book this week and I got a chance to read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I <haven't gone through all the transcriptions yet with the CD - because they are numerous and <challenging - but I have read through all the written sections and I must say that Richard really <did an incredible job.

Double shucks!

<I recommend this book for all my students and anyone who wants to learn some jazz harp.  There is <enough material here to keep you busy for quite a while.  It isn't something you just "go through", <but something you return to so you can absorb the finer points over a long period of time.  It is <full of cool transcriptions, an interview with Toots, all kinds of scales and exercises (I know <Ugh!), huge amounts of discography and Bibliography and more ;-).  Richard's discussions on basic <harmony and basic jazz forms come together to be one of the most elegant descriptions of jazz theory <that I have ever read.

After "thank you," I can only add that the transcriptions are (in most cases) for both diatonic and chromatic harp, and include arrow notation as well as standard notation.

<You can learn a lot from this book and keep learning for years to come.  I have adopted it as my <standard "textbook" on harmonica jazz.  If you actually go through this book from beginning until <end and do all the transcriptions (we'll see how I do) you will KNOW something about jazz harp and <it will SHOW.  Thank you Richard and tell us where to buy it!

The book is still in print (continuously since 1980, I'm pleased to say), and can be found on amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jazz+harp+by+richard+hunter&x=&y=

Make SURE you get the latest print version, which has a CD inside, not a floppy 45 RPM vinyl one-play recording.

Thanks Michael for the kudos,
Richard Hunter
latest mp3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/rcihardhunterharp