RE: [Harp-L] Maxwell Street

I'll have to admit that I haven't been enthused enough about the efforts to create an ersatz Maxwell Street to even bother to check it out.  I used to go down to the original Maxwell Street on Sunday mornings...and was lucky to have been a good friend with a guy who devoted the later years of his life to efforts (unsuccessful) to save the original Maxwell Street.  His name was Jimmy Lee Robinson and, in addition to being a terrific singer, songwriter, guitarist and bass player, he used to tell great stories....   Jimmy Lee asked me once if I could guess the name of the very first song that he ever heard John Lee Williamson playing--Jimmy Lee grew up in the neighborhood of Maxwell Street and would walk by John Lee Williamson's house when he was a kid.  According to Jimmy Lee, he heard Sonny Boy I play, "I'm An Old Cowhand on the Rio Grande" from the front porch stoop of his house--Jimmy Lee told me that story to convey how the older blues guys had to know plenty more than blues tunes if they wanted to make a living in music.  I also used to play with a woman by the name of Johnnie Mae Dunston, who was once Jimmy Reed's drummer and who claimed to have written a bunch of his songs.  Prior to Johnnie Mae's death, several years ago, we were at a Save-Maxwell-Street event and she talked me into pushing her in her wheelchair up and down Halsted, so she could go into the stores lining the street, demanding that the store owners contribute money to the Save-Maxwell-Street cause...  She was a force to reckon-with and a number of the store owners gave her $50 or so, if only so that I would push her back out of their stores...

John