Re: [Harp-L] (no subject)

Brother Mike,

Here are a few suggestions. This location HAD $19.95 Hohner Marine Bands a few months ago -
http://www.villagemusicstore.com/ !

If you have a club they might consider themselves as a business and get a tax license and make arrangements for reducing costs. I have a local shop that gives a reasonable discount from the MSRP, (manufacturer's suggested retail price). Of the operating shops it appears that http://www.coast2coastmusic.com/ is going to be the resource of greatest commercial return...for less.

Next suggestion. Prices and quality will drive you to really play the Blues. Norton Buffalo, http://www.norton-buffalo.com/ is the main proponent for Huang harmonicas. Prices are reasonable and quality is righteous. Playability is truly in the eye, er, mouth of the beholder. Bushman is next with high marks for the Bushman model comparable to the Hohner Marine Band. Suzuki falls into about here with their Marine Band equivalent. Hohner is next in line, at least price-wise. Seydel is next. (You might find a vendor with lower prices in alternating patterns re Hohner & Seydel.).

You should consider doing repairs and tuning of your own harps. Those well toned tunes and licks aren't just a result of a stock harp. (I am NOT a repair person or tuner, etc. I'll admit it right up front. But I do feel obligated to give you the broadest recommendations.) With the little bit I have done to my harps these references should help:

1. Diatonic http://www.angelfire.com/tx/myquill/ - Scroll all the way down and on-third way down of the sidebar is "Maintenance"

2. Chromatic http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/ - Scroll halfway down. Look to the left - "Maintenance"

3. This reference is so that you'll get an appreciation of the cost of having someone else do your cleaning, tuning and so forth:
http://harmonicalinks.com/repairs.html You can look at all listed the customizers sites, (and then some), and feel queasy at the prices. Here's where I absolutely understand where you're coming from with your interest in less expensive products.

4. Cost of equipment to repair, tune, modify, et cetera. It's a long and costly path. Simple end is a few hundred dollars. The other end...has NO end!

5. "How-to". You'll want to spend some time at http://www.youtube.com/ researching people like Chris Michalek and Jason Ricci. Chris does an extensive procedural presentaion of harmonica tuning. Oops, almost left out - http://www.elkriverharmonicas.com/ David Payne is also a proponent of tuning and repairs.

6. http://www.harmonicasessions.com/index.html - Start with the first issue and read the Kinya Pollard articles about repair, tuning and modification. Amazing!

So, there's a 'starter kit' as it were for you. And all of it predicated upon a simple question of how do I get'm cheap, eh?

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

----- Original Message ----- From: "MIKE CRANDALL" <mikecrandallblues@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>