Re: [Harp-L] Maxwell street + Is that street harp manufacture? WAS: TwoGreat You Tube Videos

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Kerkhoven" <solo_danswer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:13 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Maxwell street + Is that street harp manufacture? WAS: TwoGreat You Tube Videos

Thanks to James for those video tips.

Big Walter Horton:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgxGDxZYfG4&feature=related

And the Robert Nighthawk Maxwell Street I found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oypAbJj-fEs

This got me looking into Maxwell Street. And I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydLGxkm0Qw&feature=related

Now can anyone tell me what's going on at 2:52 - 2:55? This looks like
street harmnonica manfucaturing. It looks like the guy is cutting metal, and
those things scattered before him look like harmonica reeds. May be
something completely different going on. David Payne? Any of the other harp
techs care to venture a guess?

They look much too wide to be harmonica reeds. IF they were blanks for harmonica reeds, they have many more opoerations with much more precise tools before they would ever function in a harmonica. The economic payoff for making a harmonica reed by hand ...even if it saves a diatonic harmonica...doesn't justify the labor required.

I would guess that they had a more immediate use requiring much less subsequent fabrication than harmonica reeds.....such as measuring spoons, scale weights, burglary tools, weapons, jewelry, shorts for electric meters, etc.

Vern