From: Vern Smith <jevern@xxxxxxx>
To: Frank Evers <frank@xxxxxxxxx>; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2008 2:35:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The final word on Comb Materials

Many have tried to have the last word and then declare the subject closed.

I may have started the discussions about comb materials in the 90's when I
challenged the notions that "wood sounds warm" and "metal sounds brilliant"
and (worst of all) "plastic sounds plasticky."  On my part, this has been a
continuous challenge that resulted in two formal comparisons at SPAH97
organized by me and at Buckeye 98? organized by James Thaden. Another result
is long-standing $1000 wager that no one can discriminate among materials on
the basis of harp sound alone.

The comb-materials myth seems to me to be fueled by a wish-to-believe that
arises from the following:
1. The need of those selling harmonicas to differentiate their competitive
products.
2. The romantic notion that the the harmonica is more than just a machine
and has a mystique.
3. The false analogy with soundboards in stringed instruments where
materials do affect sound.
4. The false analogy that exotic materials should produce exotic sounds.
5. Failure to appreciate the universal, subjective human tendency to hear
what we wish and/or expect to hear.
6. Desire for a way to sound better that doesn't require practice.
7. The unreliability of anecdotal experiences and too-small statistical
samples.

At one time, there seemed to be a Harp-l consensus that differences arising
from material were definitely not perceptible to listeners but might be
perceptible to players.  Because it is much more difficult to do, it has not
been tested under adequately controlled conditions.  Although I am doubtful,
there is still some room for discussion here.

Then someone unfamiliar with the history of the subject on Harp-l comes
along and claims that their comb material produces a certain identifiable
tone ...and we are back at the beginning.

Whether or not comb materials are perceptible to the human ear is a
(scientifically provisional) fact and not an opinion. If only one person
could reliably and repeatably demonstrate the ability to hear the claimed
differences under controlled conditions, everyone would be immediately
convinced.  That person could also win my $1000 wager.  The truth is out
there.  We have two challenges...to find it, and to get it accepted.  Then
we can move on.

Vern