Re: [Harp-L] The eternally penultimate word on Comb Materials

Great idea Effjay;
                         So who's going to volunteer to 'bell the cat'? maybe a 'Wikipedia' reference page would be good.
                         I've been on and off this list - mostly on - since the late 90s, so I've seen the merry-go-round.
                         My wife likes to drink tea out of specific vessles, depending on the occasion, fine china when there is time to really savour the experience, a white mug first thing in the morning on a working day.
                         Anyone who enjoys good wine is going to prefer a fragile wine glass to a ceramic mug, etcetera.
                         The material of the vessel affects not the taste, but the experience, the 'feel'.
                         Music has one foot in science and the other in art; we are attracted to the elusive intangibles in music, and the instruments with which we produce it become talismanic, even fetishised.
                         There's so little of a harmonica; some people who play it like to 'personalise' it, to treat it like a piece of jewelry.
                         Fair enough; it's as much as I can do to just get the things in tune and playable, and keep them that way.
                         I've always enjoyed this ongoing discussion, though I don't post on it anymore ; this is  an exception, because I thought the above was worth saying.
                         I'm a long time convert from the 'difference' to 'no difference' camp. What I learned along the way has been fascinating, and furthered my understanding of the instrument.

Happy Christmas all!
I'm signing off for the holidays
(it's summer down in Oz)

>>> fjm <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx> 24/12/08 7:17 AM >>>
Currently this discussion is reiterative by nature.  Absent new
information or experimentation we continue to reside where we've more or
less resided for several years now.  I have a suggestion.  There have
been many excellent posts on this topic.  If some industrious person
were to locate and piece together a balanced presentation of the current
various points of view on this topic the compiled posts could be hosted
on the files page of the harp-l google group mirror.  Whenever someone
new to the discussion came along they could be pointed to the
compilation.  If after reading they wanted to continue the discussion on
the list they would have the historical and factual context with which
to pursue the topic.  It's just an idea and no I won't be the person
compiling this I have enough on my plate providing 1800 people with the
interface by which these discussions are enabled.  fjm