[Harp-L] mic or wire question

Happy holidays everyone.  I have a question about wires, mics and noise.  Bought an old mic with no element and soldered in one that was salvaged from another (wasn't sure if it worked), turns out it works but the level needs to be pretty high compared to other hi-z mics i have, worse yet it gets noise from the wire and jacks when i move them around, my thought is the wire (very old but in good shape) or the element is not very good and thats why the excess noise is coming through. I still haven't bought a tester and realize that i could figure it out fast by running a few tests on the wire and element, just wondering if i am on the right track, the sound is there but lots of racket from the wire.   Thanks for all the valuable info since coming to harp -l,  take care all ...,      joe g   in landisville pa