[Harp-L] (no subject)

Gary writes about his new tuning:

"the top
hole is So (5)-holes 5-10 are just like 4-9 in the Richter tuning-and the
bottom is circular-so a C harmonica in this tuning would start on B on hole
one blow, proceed in a circular fashion to hole 7, hole 8 would be the
breath reversal hole, and the top hole would be G blow as the high note."

If I'm reading correctly, this would be the tuning:

blow:  B D  F A  C E  G  C E  G
hole:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10
draw: C E  G B  D F  A  B D  F

It sounds interesting. You get some interesting chord choices (the blow has both a major CEG and the relative minor ACE, as well as a minor seventh chord DFAC, for instance) and most things bend.

One suggestion I might make is have you considered having the starting note by a half-step flatter? This would give you another major chord in the blow (BbDF) and also a half-step bend in hole one.

I may have to try this layout, it has some intriguing possibilities, especially in the chords available. I find the pure spiral tunings to be rather awkward (probably the result of previously learning more standard tunings), but have one which is sort of the reverse of this (the top is spiral, the bottom is standard) and it is an interesting change of pace.

Thanks for sharing this.

()() JR "Bulldogge" Ross () () `----'