[Harp-L] Re: was experiment, now just combs

smo-joe writes:

So, in other words, to use your logic, anything that anyone posts on this site in the future that is remotely a mere 'commercial' and not proven, to the minutist degree, is to be disallowed and deemed out of order.

The question of whether or not comb materials make a difference in the sound of the harmonica is not something which has not been proven "to the minutist degree", rather it is something which is wholly and utterly unproven. Indeed, it is something which has been contra- indicated by existing tests and for which there is no sound theory. Whenever it is claimed, either commercially or not, I see no reason not to point out that both the default and current position based on what has been tried must be that there is no such difference.

Moreover, when spurious or false claims are used to justify the sale of a product, then that takes on added weight.

Finally, and I will try not to veer too far off-topic here but the accusation has been made ("disallowed and deemed out of order"): I have not now, nor ever argued against anyone having the right to post whatever they want. But, it must go both ways: anyone has a right to post, and anyone has a right to comment. That's why this is a forum, not a blog. Vern said it better than I could, but I agree fully and completely: I expect that what I write can and will be scrutinized, and I have learned much from those exchanges.

 ()()    JR "Bulldogge" Ross
()  ()
`----'