Re: [Harp-L] was experiment, now just combs

Vern Smith wrote:
"We had both machine-blown and player-blown comparisons at the first SPAH
experiment.  I spent days constructing the machine and then lugged it half
way across the continent to get it to SPAH.  The airlines were more tolerant
of extra luggage in '97. It used a tank-type vacuum cleaner tamed by a 2KW
light dimmer as an air pump.  It used 25 feet of garden hose to isolate the
noise of the pump (much reduced at 5 inches of water from the 80 inches of
water generated at full speed) from the tones of the harps.  Not one of 30
people could distinguish among lead, titanium, balsa wood, plastic foam,
pear wood, and ABS plastic.  They didn't even know whether the sound came
from different or the same harps blown in succession!

Vern "

Now I know. And knowing is half the battle.
Dave Payne Sr.
Elk River Harmonicas
www.elkriverharmonicas.com