From: 46long Blake <46long@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 4 Blow Reed Failures - Is it just me?
To: "bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx, gwoodhouse40@xxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 1:32 PM

Yeah, well, I don't see the use of using this question as yet another
opportunity to bash players for playing too hard. Yes, it's a valid point
in
both it fatigues your harps and hurts your agility and tone. Fine. We could
also get into the reasons that even more proficient players might "play
too
hard" - not being able to hear yourself and thinking that playing harder
will help, etc.  But simply dismissing an interesting question as being the
fault of "bad playing" is just going to shut it down, limit the
discussion,
discourage debate, and intimidate people from posting. Seriously, it's as
if
one of my literature students came to me and said, "Why am I having a
difficult time understanding Shakespeare, since I do so well with most other
authors?"  And  I say something back like, "Because you suck!"
or, more
subtly, "Because you're too damn immature to get it."

So, perhaps there's a more sophisticated answer out there. Even if the
player is playing too hard, why is it that the 4 blow reed is, even for me
(for what that's worth), the reed that dies exponentially more than any
other. In fact, I don't think I've had any other reed go bad for me in
the
last 6-7 years. Doesn't matter if it's a stock Special 20 or a Sleigh
custom. It's always the 4 blow.

Perhaos it's because blues players use that 4 hole bend more than any other
note. I dunno - I haven't done a study.

 - Blake

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:36 PM, bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx <
bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> -- Glenn and Debbie Woodhouse <gwoodhouse40@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I am experiencing what seems like an inordinate rate of 4 blow reed
> failures on my diatonics (Bushman primarily, and Lee Oskar).  I am finally
> noting this due to what I think are two main factors:
>
> 1)  More hours - Although I have been playing for over 25 years, I have
> joined a band and been playing semi-professionally for the last year, so
my
> harps are seeing more play time overall.  This is not a huge number but in
> the order of 5-10 hours per week spread over 8+ keys.
>
> 2)  Bushman Harps - I really like the sound, comfort, and price of the
> Bushman Delta Frosts but out of 6 that I have bought over the last 8
months
> or so I have had 3 4B reeds fail within a few weeks to three months of
play
> time.  Has anyone else been experiencing this problem with Bushman.  My
Lee
> Oskar failures have taken much longer.
>
> I don't feel like the 4B gets nearly the "work-out" that
many of the draw
> reeds do playing blues.  Is there something about the harmonic frequency
at
> some keys of 4B that fails faster with brass and phosphor bronze (my most
> recent failures are 2 on a Bushman C harp, 1 Bushman F, 1 Lee Oskar Am).
Is

--
http://www.myspace.com/46long
http://www.46long.com