[Harp-L] Blowing too hard

In my experience the volume will be a factor of the amp, and not how hard
you blow. The relative audible difference between high and low air pressure,
filtered through harp, mic, effects, amp, and the room, will be one more of tone
 than of volume. Blowing hard in order to compete with more efficient
(louder)  amps is an exercise in futility, a self-defeating (and expensive) one at
that. It profoundly affects your performance, stealing away the  possibilities
for subtlety and nuance. It IS poor  techique, if the reason for doing it is
an attempt  to increase volume, rather than a stylistic decision. Volume is
what  amps (or better yet, band dynamics) are for.

Jeff G
Denver CO

In a message dated 12/20/2008 4:17:29 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,