[Harp-L] FW: re: Review of Cadillac Records Movie - Now early blues scene

  _____

From: Bill Kumpe [mailto:okbizlaw@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 7:10 PM
To: 'harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: re: Review of Cadillac Records Movie - Now early blues scene

I am the son of white sharecroppers on my mother's side. I was brought up in
a four room farm house on the edge of the Arkansas River Bottoms near the
Arkansas, Oklahoma border.  The first time I heard the blues was the early
1950's.  I was about five.  It was being played by my very white, red headed
uncle who was trying to teach me a "running-A breakdown" on the guitar.
>From what I remember of it, and I remember it very well, you wouldn't have
been able to tell the difference between what my uncle was playing and the
work of some of the early Delta blues musicians.    I have two cardboard
boxes of my uncle's old records from the 20's forward.  They are full of
"race music."  He and his band apparently copied "race" licks even back
then.

Bill Kumpe

Tulsa, Oklahoma