Re: [Harp-L] re: Review of Cadillac Records Movie

I can't remember exactly when I first heard blues on Detroit AM radio in the
50s.

But a lot of you youngsters have to remember that ANYTHING that had a guitar
in it (and that includes country and blues) was considered rock 'n' roll back
in the 50s and played on the top 40 rock stations. And it sold, too. And among
this mix was a lot of pure blues. At same time, many blues tunes were turned
into rock tunes. Some were written as blues but became rock. Lieber & Stoller
wrote Hound Dog for Big Mama Thornton that was transformed by Elvis into rock
after he heard a lounge act do a speeded up verson in Vegas.

But most teenagers didn't really care: if it had a good beat and you could
dance to it, it was rock 'n' roll to them. I remember famous "rock" hits by Slim
Harpo, and one of the biggest rock hits "Got My Mojo Working"   by rock star
Muddy Waters.

And clear channel radio stations (who had the only broadcast signal on that
band in the whole country) could be heard all over the country at night because
of the signal bounce. Even smaller stations could be heard.

And don't forget the border stations in Mexico with their mega-watt
transmitters (illegal in the US) aimed at USA teens.

At the same time, the black stations in Detroit tended to play uptown blues
-- which often wasn't as good as the blues (we thought was rock) played on the
rock stations.

So blues was always in the air.

It was not mainstream, but neither was country, which was also going on at
the same time.

The folk revival of the 50s-60s led the rediscovery of old blues players from
the 30s and sent them across the country: Son House, Mississippi John Hurt.
Big Bill Broonzy (who died in 1958) appeared on
Studs Turkel's radio show in Chicago and was certainly heard by lots of
people who were not tuned into the blues community, but they were tuned into Studs.

Phil