Re: [Harp-L] re: Review of Cadillac Records Movie

In the 1950's/60's I grew up a germanic white farm boy in Iowa, in our house I heard Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Wynonnie Harris, BB King, a whole lot of Louis Jordan, and all the 40's/50's swing and jump stuff, plus a great deal of jazz. (And of course, Lawrencw Welk at Grandma's after sunday dinner!) This probably was a bit unusual (not L.Welk), and maybe doesn't qualify as a "blues scene", but I don't believe 'that music' ever went as unoticed and ignored as so many seem to think. My take has always been that if my parents, in Dallas county Iowa had 78's by these artists, there had to be plenty of others. It wasn't unusual to pull in radio from Chicago, Kansas City, St Louis, and even Texas, Ok, or Mexico at night back then in the midwest. It was all AMERICAN MUSIC, and I think many of us were listening, or it wouldn't be so ingrained in us today. The Butterfield's and Bloomfield's certainly boosted the attention, and popularized the music, much as Akroyd and Belushi, or SRV, but as art, I've often had questions as to whether that was a good thing or not. It was after seeing Butterfield in early 1967 that I bought my first marine band, but the seed had been planted long before, you didn't have to be black, or even live in a city to be exposed to the blues in the 50'/60's. That is just my take on that 'blues revival' thing, JD