Re: [Harp-L] eyes and harmonica playing

On Dec 19, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Garry Hodgson wrote:

Joe and Cass Leone wrote:
I was told the boxers, trumpet players, and diabetics (in that order) were suceptible.
i can see it being an issue for trumpet players and such. but i don't think
that harmonica players create nearly the kind of pressure that horn players
do (the OP spoke of "wind instruments"). i think the concern on this list is
misplaced or overblown (so to speak).

I only boxed at he boy's club for 2 years (14 & 15), and remember retinas being mentioned, but if you watch enough fights on TV, you will notice that detached retinas are referred to quite often. As for the trumpet players, I used to exert a lot of force and at times I felt as if I broke a vein in one of my lips? I don't know what analogy could be drawn, but it sure hurt like H E double hockey sticks. I even get the chills when I see the veins popping out on someone's head.

Now for harp, I see it (no pun intended) differently. Most of the real 'cranking' seems to be on the INHALE, not the exhale. Even the blow bends don't need a lot of pressure. When my wife had her eyes checked once, the readings were 33 in her right eye and 22 in her left. I understand that it is really a good idea to keep this figure at under 19, BUT according to her, she was told that a detached retina can happen to anyone at anytime, for any reason, or even no reason.

smo-joe