From: Mick Zaklan <mzaklan@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 9:43:23 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] eyes and harmonica playing

  Don't know how this relates; but many years ago I had a buddy who had a
detached retina.  When they reattached it, they told him no lifting heavy
stuff or harmonica playing.  Something about pressure on the eyeball or
the head-shaking warbles being a bad idea immediately after an
operation.  Being a guitarist who doubled quite a bit on harp, he must have
specifically asked.
  Now my brother Joe, an occasional harpist, has had two retina operations
and his docs never said anything about staying away from the tin sandwich.
Ditto with harpist Nelson Keaton, who had a retina detach on a gig this
year.  He went right back to playing after the operation.
  Me, I think I'd play it safe and set the harp down for awhile if I was in
that position.  Wonder if harmonica players are statistically more likely to
have retinas detaching?

Mick Zaklan