Re: [Harp-L] Sonny Jr. Cruncher

Deb Anderson wrote:
A friend of mine, Bill Hines, who I met on harp-l, strongly recommended that
I purchase an amplifier from Sonny Jr.  I have been only playing the blues
harp for two years and am primarily self-taught using books and music I've
purchased from David Barrett, Adam Gussow, Glenn Weiser and Brendan Power.
I have been wanting to take the next step and start playing with others so I
sent Bill an email asking for his recommendation for an amp.  Bill wrote:
"Seriously, if you had the money and wanted to do this once and do it right,
I'd get that Cruncher. What an unbelievable amp for all situations and it
would last you forever."

I immediately contacted Gary Onofrio (Sonny Jr.) and asked to purchase the
Cruncher.  From the beginning Gary has been incredibly responsive.  He
wrote: "I just want my customers to have the best possible match and be
happy" and he has been true to his word. He not only shipped the amp right
away but he called the very evening that he thought the amp would arrive at
my home!  He wanted to make sure that he had set my amp up in a manner that
he thought will be best for me, which was not the stock setup.  Much to my
surprise he wanted me to play for him so that he could hear how it sounded
specifically for me.  I was quite intimidated knowing his background but he
immediately made me feel comfortable and was very patient explaining the
technicalities of the Cruncher to a real novice.  Even after that first
night, Gary regularly emailed me to make sure that I was progressing with
the amp and learning how to change tubes, use the Danelectro pedal, etc.

I would highly recommend purchasing the Cruncher even if you aren't at the
point where you are ready to play out.  I can attest that my playing has
improved after playing with the Cruncher for just three weeks.  It is so
wonderful to hear how I really sound and be able to make adjustments to my
articulation and dynamics to play better.  I play both the blues and Celtic
music and the amp sounds terrific with both.  The tips Gary has given me by
email or over the telephone have been invaluable.  He truly enjoys bringing
joy with his amp and skill, no matter what the level of player he is working
with.  I am so happy that I bought the Cruncher, the mic and the Danelectro
pedal.  It was an investment well worth the price.