Re: [Harp-L] Review of Cadillac Records Movie

Reads pretty even-handedly to someone who hasn't seen the movie. (Wonder
if it'll get general release in Oz?..maybe not)
When it comes to music as  subject matter for film,  I prefer straight
fiction. A great example of this is 'Payday', written by Don Carpenter
and directed by Daryl Duke, starring Rip Torn. No biopic could get to
the heart of post-war country music the way this one does; the music, by
the way, is incidental.

RD

>>> <venkyr@xxxxxxx> 18/12/2008 21:42 >>>

              Featured Blues Review 2 of 3

  Cadillac Records

  (Sony Pictures, 2008)

  Written and directed by Darnell Martin

  This film is infuriating. It leaves out an
  entire Chess brother. It supports the myth
  that the Chess studio was always at the final
  2120 South Michigan Avenue location, and
  manages to suggest South Michigan Avenue is
  little more than a narrow alley. It wasnât
  and isnât.

  This movie conflates early Elvis and the 1968
  death of Little Walter (among other things)
  into a single montage. The musicians werenât
  just paid in Cadillacs and spending money,
  though there is an important truth in that; it
  took years of legal fighting to straighten out
  the books, to get some financial justice for
  some of the Chess artists. If casual blues
  fans take their blues history from this film,
  blues history is set backâagain.

  And, of course it gets worse. The golden-hued
  cotton fields of the delta are filmic pixie
  dust. Muddy and Walter were not so tight for
  so long; indeed, Walter walked off a Muddy
  tour to form his own band. Jeffrey Wrightâs
  Muddy Waters is an awfully earnest fellow, as
  in so many bio-pic type movies, a
  one-dimensional man. If you donât get the
  flow, the humor, the sociality, the nobility,
  the vanity, the sensuality of Muddy Waters,
  you donât really have him at all. Some
  critics have suggested that Beyoncà Knowles
  should get an Academy Award nomination for her
  anguished, blowsy, falling down, stoned take
  on Etta James. Bracket the acting, and whether
  or not it is bathetic, James deserves to have
  a second and third thought in her head, and we
  are ourselves no brain media monkeys if we
  accept this version of her as authoritative.
  Who and what gets left out and foreshortened
  in this movie is breathtaking.

  Still, if you love the blues, if you have
  spent some of your life in the times and
  places of this movie or only visiting them in
  hours of listening and learning and reflection
  and whimsy, you should see Cadillac Records.
  When the pistol goes into the guitar case, the
  blues is punctuated like the rim shot off the
  snare. When Walter rolls up in the Caddy with
  the doors off, the edginess of the whole
  enterprise is underlined like a bright
  harmonica squeal. If you get from Cadillac
  Records the permeable boundary between money,
  a little money, and no money at all, if you
  pick up the way that twists the art and the
  artist, you should have a better handle about
  who is playing at your blues festival this
  year and what is making them tick.

  I donât trust the old story, the
  commonplace, that the American kids of the
  1950s, victims of sexual inhibition, cultural
  constipation, and political stupefaction, were
  in musical hibernation waiting to be
  negrified-urbanized-electrified-emotionalized;
  and when it arrived it overwhelmed the young
  and the old, the unspeakable truth spoken, the
  horror of social chaos turned loose, a new
  market thrown open for business. The fact is,
  there were always interesting, challenging,
  de-sublimating things going on in American
  music and culture. But Cadillac Records needs
  this commonplace to get its story over onto
  the arc of fame and fortune. If you are paying
  attention to the movie, Cadillac Records is a
  narrative of more basic human exuberance,
  weakness, genius, frustration, luck, and
  hustle. That seems truer to me to the world I
  live in than a tale of the perils of wealth
  and celebrity, courted, won, lost, and
  realized.

  With all of its omissions and exaggerations,
  this film probably estimates the right size,
  the modest but important size, of Chicagoâs
  Chess in shaping our popular cultural world,
  and doing so tells a story of only very
  slightly larger than life human beings. I was
  infuriated and engrossed by this telling.

  Review by Dale Clark

www.myspace.com/harpdad