Re: [Harp-L] (no subject)

'That European flare...'. You have it there! When I  heard this stuff it reminded me more than a little of our own Continental Robert Susz, who ran/fronted the  Dynamic Hepnotics out of Sydney, who had a huge hit here locally back in the eighties (still gets airplay) and later ran the stupendous 'Mighty Reapers' (who had some US releases by the way) Conti Bob is not as sophisticated a harp player as Pierre, perhaps, but a great, musical player, nevertheless, whose funky blues is drenched with Eastern European soul. Check it out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRLn2VTAqs
After my recent post re.  Missippippi Heat, I checked out their website. Right; Pierre is the bandleader, which goes at least someway to explaining how this fairly rare situation has occurred where the harpman is 'principal soloist' and 'first horn'. With odd exceptions (eg the Muddy Waters-styled band) harp players (no matter how good) don't usually get hired to fill these roles in "someone else's" band.
You gotta make your own opportunities people, as Pierre apparently has, to everyone's gain, I'd say.
RD
(Aust.)

>>> <johnnyace55@xxxxxxxxxxx> 19/12/2008 4:40 >>>
Subject ( Mississippi Heat)
Was out at the Ark in AnnArbor Mi. and got a Chance to take in the Mississippi Heat Show. All I can say is WoW. Pierres style is not like most Harp Players. He has That Europian Flare as well as some real tasty chops. Picture Magic Dick meets Lee Oscar in one. Excellent tight rythem section as well as Outstanding lead vocals from there Female singer who can really belt. I got a Chance to do a Few Numbers along with Pierre and The Legandary Peter ( Madcat) Ruth. If they come around don't miss the chance to check them out. Johnny (ACE) Custom Mic Builder