Re: R: [Harp-L] Fender Blues Jr Amps

I owned a Blues Jr. for a couple years and never really liked it, so I sold
it to a buddy who plays guitar.  For my taste the BJr is too peaky and
high-gain -- great for guitar but terrible for harp.  You can tweak it to
make it more harpishly cool, but you can get better results for a lot less
money with its cousin amp, the Fender Pro Junior.  They share the same basic
circuit, but the Pro Jr is doesn't have the FAT switch (should stand for
"Feedback All the Time"), and it isn't a master volume amp.

Check out the Fender Pro Junior harp amp project at the Blues Harp Amps
blog:
http://bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/2008/09/fender-pro-junior-harp-amp-project.html

The mods are simple:  Take a used Fender Pro Junior and add new speaker and
tubes.  Make one small easy circuit change (clip one wire), and you're
done.  Total cost for the project was under $300, including the used amp
which are pretty common on Craigslist.  There are sound samples at the
blog.  The improvement over the stock Pro Junior or Blues Junior is
significant.

-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
http://www.bluesharpamps.blogspot.com/