Re: [Harp-L] end vs. means (was instrument often mistaken for a harmonica)

However, an acordina seems to cost about $1000
On 8 Dec 2008, at 03:00, Paul Bowering wrote:

The instrument in this clip did indeed sound harp like. This raises a larger issue for me. Namely, the relative importance of how a piece of music is created versus the end product. While a single clip isn't definitive it seems self evident that an acordina allows for quicker, cleaner play than a 10-hole. (I'm not familiar with this instrument. Does it typically have a button board?) I've not ever played a melodica but aside from bends I would think this also a more precise way to create a 'harmonica' part which might better suit some styles of music. Am I correct or have I completely missed the point. I hope I am wrong because I have an affinity for harmonica but I don't want to be hung up on sentiment.

I guess I'm basically wondering how much emphasis is to be placed on performance or if a piece of music should be appreciated simply for how it stands on its own. I seem to recall Jonathan Ross making the case a couple years back that todays consumer cares much less than previous eras for the virtuoso. They just want something they can listen to and enjoy whether made by man or machine. (Hope I got that right Jonathan; you'll correct me if I'm wrong.)

So, should we drop the tin sandwich for melodicas or acordinas? Do we need real strings and electric basses when we can just play synths. They're perhaps not as nuanced but they have become rather convincing over the past number of years. I don't know if the general public can discern the difference.

Maybe it doesn't matter. We all enjoy playing the thing and that might be enough. Still, personal satisfaction can be quite distinct from shared musical experience and if there are easier or more efficient ways to get there...

Paul