[Harp-L] Re: George Harmonica Smith

For a few months in the fall of 1969, I studied Spanish at Inter- American University in Saltillo, Mexico, and lived with a Mexican Family.

Every Saturday night they would turn on their TV and watch the Jose Feliciano Show, broadcasted live from Mexico City.

One night he had Big Mama Thornton and George Harmonica Smith as guests on his show!

Big Mama Thornton sang, accompanied by George Harmonica Smith (chromatic and diatonic harmonicas), Jose Feliciano (acoustic nylon string guitar) plus the conga player and the string bass player from Jose’s hose band.

Together they played a couple Chicago blues tunes. The show was all in Spanish but Big Mama Thornton sang in English and Jose exchanged a few words with her in English.

It was great!

I already knew about George Harmonica Smith at that time because in the summer of 1969 I bought a copy of the LP: Blues With A Feeling, A Tribute To Little Walter, on World Pacific Records - a great record!

Peter Madcat Ruth madcat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.madcatmusic.net www.youtube.com/user/petermadcatruth