To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2008 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re:Cadillac Records pure jive

A story may be tarted up for Hollywood, but when it sullies the reputations of real people, there can be legal consequences.

I'm wondering if Marion Walter Jacobs has relatives who are unhappy to see him portrayed as a murderer when no basis in fact for this portrayal can be demonstrated, and whether they have standing to take legal action.

Real people (at least living ones with lawyers; don't know about dead ones without representation) can and do control how they are portrayed in fictionalized tellings of "true" stories in the movies. The character called "Dolly Pelliker" in the film Silkwood comes to mind. The real woman behind that character was very smart; she negotiated both her portrayal and her compensation.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa