[Harp-L] Re:Cadillac Records pure jive

Hey! You people expect FACT from Movieland???!!! Come on, baby, this is Hollywood! No bidness like show bidness and all that. You ever see any horse turds or flies in a Western movie? You want facts, try a documentary ... or a book ... it's hard enough to come by truth in those media these days.

I once heard the story of a friend of a friend of a FAMOUS '60s rock star who died young ... the star's friend wrote a book about the relationship ... the publisher ordered the writer to insert spicy sexual content or else no publication ... The writer felt bad about it, but needed the money for survival ... The book was later part of the basis for a Hollywood film.

This isn't always the case, but I fear we live in the Age of Gossip. The truth isn't good enough for the moneymakers unless it can be bent spectacularly out of shape. Besides, legend easily blurs into myth and myth into fantasy ... that's how we feed our dreams sometimes, on the fast food of imagination. I haven't seen the film yet, but I bet even the seedy parts (if any) look pretty fancy compared with reality. If not, my apologies.  Most folks seem to prefer their truths at least thinly sugar-coated.

Bob Loomis
Concord CA
"When Cynicism Is Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Be Cynical!"