[Harp-L] RP250 patch set

I'm glad to report that I got over my initial frustration with the Digitech RP250, and I'm now programming patches in earnest.  The unit has some very nice features, including a wah wah that works well with harp, and much better reverbs than the RP200, and I expect to create some cool tones with it, both traditional and electronic.

The unit includes storage for 60 user patches, and my plan is to develop four sets of 15 patches each for the following mics:
- Audix Fireball V
- Bottle o' Blues
- Shure 545
- Astatic JT30VC

This scheme will ensure that regardless of what mic a player uses, there's something in the box that will sound good with it.  Most players will also find that 15 patches will take them a long way on a gig, especially given that the RP250's foot pedal can be used to modify tones substantially in performance.  At some point, I'll probably offer full sets of 60 patches as an add-on for each of these mics.

Different mics have different strengths, of course, and I don't expect to develop exact equivalents of every patch for every mic.  I may also develop a few very simple patches with effects only, as opposed to amp modeling and distortion, for those who want to augment a basic harp sound with something a little more special.

The RP250, unlike the RP200, can be updated via USB, which means that it won't be necessary for buyers to do the data input by hand, as it was with the RP200.

As I've said before, a good sound is a good sound, and the RP200 makes good sounds. Players who are currently using my RP200 patch set should rest assured that the new patch set won't make their current device obsolete.  (I plan to continue using mine for a long, long time.)  Those considering the RP250 should know that the new patch set will be ready sometime in late January 2009.

Regards, Richard Hunter
latest m3s and harmonica blog at http://myspace.com/richardhunterharp