[Harp-L] Lee Oskar / Hohner MS

John wrote:

<Some of us blame Lee Oskar for Hohner's development of the MS
<system, since the MS models appeared to be Hohner's response to the
<emergence of the Lee Oskar line.

Lee has made similar claims in my presence about the original Hohner Meisterklasse 580. Actually they emerged at around the same time - Lee launched his company in 1983, the same year when Hohner sent me pre-production prototypes of the MK580 to test. The MK580 was subsequently launched in early 1985 (I presented it at the Frankfurt Fair). The first time I saw a Lee Oskar was when Charlie Musselwhite showed me one in 1986. Screw together assembly and replaceable reed plates were a logical development and both companies came out with them independently of one another. The Hohner MS models were introduced several years later in 1992 as an attempt to revolutionise harmonica production through automation and were in no way connected with anything any competitor was doing,

Steve

Steve Baker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.stevebaker.de