[Harp-L] Re: Reed Durability: The Facts/ Reed Chamfering

Hi Vern,

Your proposed reed testing machine is essentially the same as that used by
Hohner to test reed durability and pitch stability, down to the soundproof
room!  They sometimes call it a Blasmaschine (blow machine).

During one of my spells at the factory in the late '90s, I found that
Eberhard Glunz, Hohner's materials engineer at the time, had connected the
Blasmaschine to an oscilloscope and computer in order to measure reed
response time and volume.   He linked the switch that turned on the vacuum
to those of the oscilloscope and computer, which would then begin recording
the data the moment the vacuum was turned on.  The computer would produce a
graph, with the x-axis indicating duration of time in milliseconds from
activation of the reed and the y-axis indicating amplitude in decibels.  In
order to ensure accuracy, he programmed it to produce a graph showing the
average of any predetermined number of activations of the reed.

We used this system to test the technique of reed chamfering, where the
upper edges of a reed are broken (I use a small chisel to chamfer the
edges).  I attached to the Blasmaschine a Marine Band without covers, with
all but one reed taped off, and we obtained an average of ten activations,
measuring how many milliseconds it took for the reed to attain its maximum
amplitude, which can be considered its response time.  Then I removed the
harp, chamfered the reed and immediately replaced it onto the machine for
another ten activations.  This test was repeated for a number of different
reeds.  As I had already been chamfering the reeds of my own harps for some
time and had noticed through playing them an improvement in response time, I
had expected this to be confirmed in this test, and it was.  What was
surprising, however, was that there was not only an improvement in response
time but a marked increase in average maximum amplitude; chamfered reeds
were shown not only to respond more quickly, but to play louder.

Glunz said that this improvement in response and volume could not be due to
a change in the flexibility of the reed, as so little material was actually
removed, relative to the overall mass of the reed.  The improvement, he said
must be due to a change in the aerodynamics of the reed.  It would seem that
chamfering the reed's upper edges produces a similar aerodynamic to that
from a process of manufacturing high-end accordion reeds, where the upper
surface of the reed is milled while the reed is attached to a revolving
drum, producing a radius along the length of the reed, where the reed is
thickest along its middle length and gets thinner toward its long sides.

When hand-finishing harmonica reeds I usually emulate to some degree the
rounded shape of accordion reeds produced in this manner.

Best regards,
Rick