Re: [Harp-L] Custom Harmonicas: Rick Epping's Role

On 12/8/08 2:35 PM, "David Payne" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On half valving, we can look to you. We can also look to P.T. Gazelle. I'm
> sure people were tuning harps in crazy ways before you, but you Brendan must
> get credit due for popularizing alternate tunings.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am in no way responsible for
introducing half-valving to the diatonic. Brendan Power suggested that idea
to Suzuki who in turn produced the Promaster MR350V which is a damn fine
instrument. Brendan is a master technician and fabulous player as well as an
innovator. I simply embraced the idea, and put my spin on it as far as valve
material, reed shaping and gapping goes. As to who first put valves on a
diatonic...I have repeatedly heard from players on the East Coast that
Bernie Bray used to do it and was very secretive about the fact. Somehow
Bernie's name always manages to come up if you dig deep enough. It's kind of
like the 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon theory.

Happy Holidays,

--
PT Gazell
pt@xxxxxxxxxxxx