[Harp-L] Reed Durability: The Facts

The title of this post is a misnomer, because there are none - just lots
of claims and counter claims.

I freely admit to making frequent claims that Suzuki reeds last the
longest, based on personal experience of many brands. Others say the
same regarding Lee Oskars, or Seydel stainless steel reeds. Hohner
didn't have a great reputation when it came to reed durability, but
Steve Baker is claiming that current Hohner reeds are now "extremely
durable" (Harp-L Dec 7th).

It would be great to have a truly impartial test of reed durability
under strictly controlled conditions. Then the consumer would really
KNOW which brand and model is the best in this regard, rather than
having to rely on hearsay and players/manufacturers' claims.

I can't think of anyone better than Vern Smith to devise and conduct
such a test. Maybe we should all contribute a few bucks each via PayPal
to someone like Vern to do a real hard-core test that would leave
everyone satisfied that fair play was strictly observed and justice had
been done to every brand.

Will you take up the challenge, Vern? Or at least suggest a way to
proceed? I know this topic has been visited before, but the test is yet
to be done.

Wouldn't it be great to know for sure? It would be good for all
manufacturers and the consumer: the winning maker would get great
publicity, and the losers would be encouraged to smarten up their act
before a subsequent test. In fact, it would be great to have such tests
every couple of years. We, the players, would be the winners.

Brendan Power
WEBSITE:  <http://www.brendan-power.com/> http://www.brendan-power.com
YOUTUBE:  <http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic>
http://www.youtube.com/BrendanPowerMusic