[Harp-L] Question about custom harmonicas

Frank,

Hohner no longer builds the Pro Harp and Mesterklasse models in the classic series, either for the North American or the European markets. If they did, I probably would never have shopped around and discovered Suzukis. If, as you and Steve Baker suggest, the Hohner Classic models are better, I don’t understand why Hohner changed certain classic models to exclusively MS configuration. Perhaps my old favorite, the classic Pro Harp, was more of a niche item, but Blues Harps have always been enormously popular and the Meisterklasse is supposed to be top of the line. All 3 are now only available as MS models. Unfortunately, the MS Meisterklasse harmonicas are not particularly air tight—it’s not just that they consume more air to move softer reeds-- they ARE leaky. However, your observations are very insightful and thought provoking.

Purely as a matter of preference, I like to play harmonicas with metal combs. I generally don’t like wood combs, although I do think the sealed rosewood comb on the Firebreath is nice. As far as compression is concerned, my style of play definitely affects my preferences/prejudices. I do not play chords very much. I’m more of a single note player and I play in different positions. I often try to get horn like sound and phrasing out of my harmonica when I perform, so it’s not surprising that I really like the higher compression of the Suzukis. I can’t get what I am calling a horn like sound consistently from Hohners, but I can with higher end Suzukis. This is probably due to what you are calling “stiffness”. But, yes, it requires greater power and more controlled effort when playing in order to get the desired response and expression from Suzukis during performance. In general, I agree that Suzukis are harder to handle.

Btw, my ear for pitch improved dramatically over a couple of months after I started playing Suzukis on a regular basis. I don’t play any other instrument besides harmonica, and I have no formal musical training. I’d been playing Hohners with compromise tuning for so long that I never really knew( or learned) what certain notes on the harmonica were supposed to sound like at proper pitch. But after playing properly intonated ET harps for a while, i developed an improved ear for pitch, and my playing has progressed accordingly.

Golden Melodies are tuned to equal temperament, but I never played Golden Melodies for live performance out of ignorance. Years ago, I had tried Lee Oskars for a while when they first came out. But when I would play LO's during performance, the musicians I played with (particularly keyboard players) would frequently complain that I was out of tune, especially in certain keys. I wrongly attributed this to the LO’s being tuned to equal temperament, so I mistakenly avoided using GM’s for that reason. Since then I’ve learned that LO’s were tuned to 444 and 10 cents sharp, which was probably the source of the complaints, NOT the ET tuning. But I didn’t figure this out until after I started playing Suzukis.

I must agree with you that there are definitely design differences between Suzukis and Hohners. I’ll leave it to those who are better qualified to discuss whether there are also differences in quality of manufacture.

JP