Re: [Harp-L] Fender Champ 12 question

Don,

I've a Fender Champ 12 which is great for harp or guitar.  I run a 5751 instead of the
12AX7 for the preamp section and have a Jensen greenback instead of the stock
Fender speaker.  It's a fairly feedback resistant setup that maintains a decent bottom
end while also cutting through the mix.  It's loud enough for small to medium
bars/lounges as long as the guitar player isn't playing a Marshall 100W stack on 10.
I can usually keep up with guitarists playing through 50 watt setups with this amp.
This amp doesn't break up like a Bassman, but it still has a decent growl for harp on
the clean channel especially when modded and using a CM mic.  It's actually
outstanding for clean sounding guitar or harp.  The reverb spring is on the small side,
but still works okay.   And it only weighs about 25 lbs!

There are some mods that really help this amp sing - Several are available from
torresengineering.com or they also sell them on ebay:

  - One is to replace the plastic jacks with decent switchcraft ones.
     (Pretty much necessary since the plastic ones are crappy.)
  - One replaces pots to give better control over the volume and drive.
     (Helps because original setup is pretty touchy.)
  - One is called the "tone mod".  (Self explanitory & really does help.)
  - Another is to add an accessible bias pot and measurement posts for output tube
    bias adjustment.
     (A must have if you want to adjust the bias for different output tubes.)

Of course, the Torres mods can be done without buying all the kits, but they sell
them for little more than the cost of the parts, so most are worth the cost. Plus, the
instructions really help.

I did some other mods to further dial in the amps tone, and it's actually a great amp
for both guitar and harp!  One makes the clean channel break up sooner.
If interested contact me off list and I'll email them to you.

Any of these mods can be done by someone who is handy with a soldering iron and
knows their way around a tube amp.  However,

TUBE AMPS PRESENT LETHAL VOLTAGES EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF!

So, if you're unsure of what you're doing it's best to get a tech to do the mods.

Jam On!

-BB