Subject: Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cadillac Records

Perhaps some mistook my earlier posting as a 'kudo' to the movie. I haven't
seen it.. have no idea if it's good or not, or if the music is authentic.
Merely posted photos and clips for those who might not have seen any of the
trailers, or who have a difficult time uploading (as a couple of my close
friends do).

The youtube of Etta James WAS specifically to point out the 'real thing' as
compared to artists of today.  Not sure if any of  the comments were aimed at
her..but if so, here's:

Etta James...LIVE audio performance of the song I previously
posted...(warning: some of the images chosen to be used by the poster might be a  wee bit
disturbing for some)...

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIsDMLmWolw&NR=1_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIsDMLmWolw&NR=1)

...and even later on in time: A LIVE video performance...quite a bit  older
(she IS 70 years old now in 2008...the shots of her wearing a black  leather
jacket are current and she looks incredibly cool...way to go  Etta!):

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSVbxHdr50&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvSVbxHdr50&feature=related)

...this next one IS of the singer Beyonce Knowles singing 'At  Last' LIVE
recently at the fashion rocks show....of course she doesn't have  the power Etta
had/still has and perhaps there was 'overdubbing' -  'enhancement'... going on
for the movie....I quite doubt there's a  movie made today where technology
doesn't intrude....but she does a credible  enough job here, especially in her
dedication at the beginning..and the clearly  live intro of the original
artist at the end....

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKUqw3FduAI&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKUqw3FduAI&feature=related)

Disclaimer: never been a fan of Beyonce, but think she doesn't do too badly
imitating Etta for the movie (from the little I've seen), as evinced in yet
another clip from
Cadillac Records):

it's not harp related....but..since the entire cast has been  questioned:
(language not for children or those easily offended)

Church Bells (not sure if it's the original name of the song or not):

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQoCo0xlRg&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQoCo0xlRg&feature=related)

....and this last one is a more extensive clip about the entire
movie...showing its origins...what the 'aim' of making the movie was by the  female
writer/director.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYG28W9I5s&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHYG28W9I5s&feature=related)

Anyway, can't see how it would be a bad thing to introduce a new generation
to some revered artists who were the fathers (and mothers) of R&B and Rock  'n
Roll and the blues music many here love.  Just getting  Little Walter's name
onto people's lips can't be a bad thing, can  it?  Let them then look him
up...buy his records...learn about how he  sounded 'in real life'... Muddy too,
for that matter.

 I've no idea how the harmonica (or guitar) is played in this  movie...it'd
sure be interesting to hear Kim Wilson's take on it as well, to  authenticate
the playing.  Has anyone who knows him or is a friend  asked him?

Elizabeth

"Message: 3