[Harp-L] Larry Adler plays gypsy jazz with Django Reinhardt

I will never forget the Toots Thielemans show at the Blue Note in October of 2001. This was barely one month after Sept 11. The smell of smoke from the WTC was still in the air. There was an feeling of desperation all over the city that was in the club  when Toots hit the stage. He told a story of Belgium under Nazi Occupation ; of how he and some friends would go to some basement in an undisclosed location and listen to Louis Armstrong with the Mills Brothers. How the music uplifted him and he knew he had to come to NYC.
Mind you, Toots is an Asthmatic and I am sure the air was not safe for him to breather But he manage to uplift us all!
Afterwards in-between shows, he signed cd's and I asked him about Larry Adler and he responded
"Larry Adler is the reason I play the harmonica"
"Nuff Said" Toots is as remarkable a human being as he is a musician!

Database version: 5.11280