Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cadillac Records

Dunno about this particular piece of overdubbing, but if you read what film stars say in publiciity about their musical/ singing talents in movies where they sound too good to be true, then they usually say "I learned/ I played all the..."

But what they don't say is "then to improve the sound the studio mixed my meagre efforts with the performance of someone genuinely talented AND (in some cases) my performance sits so low in the mix you cannot really hear it". That way truth and honour are satisfied. I have heard that this trick is applied also to some "singers" in the charts more for their looks than their musical talent. The most narcisstic and dim witted stars may even believe it is 'their' performance.

Richard Hammersley
Grantshouse, Scottish Borders
http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Hammersley
http://www.myspace.com/rhammersley